Featured Post

Monday, June 4, 2018

I want to start a Blog But someone ask why not just use Facebook? So here are my reasons

Someone ask so here goes.  Why stop Facebook, it's so much easier. Just create an album, download and upload your photos?

Here are my reasons for removing my content from Facebook, in order of importance...

1. Well, it's not just about photos. For me, it's also about this space being mine, under my control.

2. Using Blogger, owned by Google, it's actually easier to create and share photo albums from Google photos. Both my phones upload to, guess what, Google photos.



3. Have I mentioned privacy yet? Does anyone remember the last presidential election, the involvement of Cambridge Analytica and theft of 87 MILLION user profiles used to influence that election? The first time it happens, shame on you (Facebook), the second time it happens shame on me.

4. Ultimate control of look and feel. a blog or website is configurable, personalized and not someone else's view of how it should look. It's like renting a room in someone else's house. They pick the paint colors, the doors, mow the lawn or not, etc. You get the idea.

5. My patterns, selections, choices, political views, and preferences are not being tracked, monitored and recorded to sell me something, try to change my political position or viewpoint. Or to sell [my content] to someone else to do the same..

6. This is a permanent place for me to describe and annotate our lives to friends. Facebook is owned and can change any of the rules anytime. 

7. I get to control access, completely, no questions. No misunderstandings, like when Facebook-approved apps are built and allowed to pull my Facebook profile details and/or content.

8. I can move anytime. There are multiple, free blog and website builders. If things change on Blogger, WordPress, Wix, Google sites, etc, I can take my stuff and leave. And nobody has a copy of it.

9. The noise is deafening and I'm suppressed on Facebook. This is probably my number one driver to leave. Facebook is like one of the old party line phones. You pick up and everyone is talking, nobody is listening. And REALLY no one cares. Admit it. We all just want to scream out our opinions.

10. I have a choice.




No comments:

Post a Comment